After this last weeks deep freeze that came down on Chicago, I was really craving something hearty and filling yet healthy. I decided to make myself a huge batch of beef vegetable stoup – what’s stoup you ask, well it’s kinda in-between a soup and a stew. I personally love my stew to be on the liquid-y side so therefore I prefer to call this recipe a “stoup”. This beef vegetable stoup can easily be put together in a crockpot; set it and forget it!
– 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
– 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
– 1 onion; thinly sliced
– 1 6oz can stewed tomatoes
– 1 14.5oz can of beef broth
– 1 cup of chopped carrots
– 3 russet potatoes; cubed
– 1 sprig of rosemary
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1 bay leaf
– 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Salute the meat in the oil until browned on all sides. Remove meat and set aside.
2. In a crockpot add your browned meat, onion, stewed tomatoes, beef broth, chopped carrots, cubed potato, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Serve with some crusty bread and enjoy!