You guys I have been craving sweet things something fierce recently; it’s highly unusual for me since I’ve always been more of a savory girl. Since moving into my own apartment I have made sure to cut out things that were unhealthy for me which includes no television set and no junk food. Coming up with a sweet treats was difficult, until I decided I realized that I still had some left over supplies from a s’mores fest with friends earlier this summer. Homemade popped popcorn and s’mores sounded delicious and from here was born a simple, quick and satisfying snack. Who doesn’t love a large bowl of chocolate popcorn with marshmallow toppings.
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 large graham crackers; crumbled
- In a heavy sauce pan add your popcorn kernels and 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil. The pan should be cold and the vegetable oil should coat the kernels but not drown them. Place lid on top of the pan and turn on the heat to a medium setting. In about 3-4 minutes your kernels should start to pop, gently shake the pan during the popping process. You should hear a pop every 10-15 seconds, once the popping slows down turn off the heat.
- As soon as all your popcorn has popped, quickly mix in your marshmallows and graham cracker crumbles; stirring well. The marshmallows will start to melt into the popcorn and become gooey. Dump the popcorn mixture into a large bowl and set aside.
- With a small sauce pan and bowl, create a double boiler to melt your dark chocolate chips. Slowly stir the chocolate chips until all melted; it will be thick. Add the leftover vegetable oil to the melted chips to thin out the chocolate.
- Quickly pour the melted chocolate all over the popcorn and coat well. Serve immediately.